Episode 92 with Yamundow Camara
When you’re starting out in your investment journey or aiming to build wealth, many people consider real estate investing. Our Dreamer this week, Yamundow Camara didn’t just make it a reality – she used creativity to build a real estate portfolio in record time without overleveraging debt.
Yamundow immigrated to the US in 2016 through a scholarship. Five years later she has acquired 28 real estate doors, taking advantage of the pandemic, when people were fearful of investing to build up her portfolio.
This episode will not only give you a front-row seat into how Yamundow has been able to do that, but it will also remind anyone that your starting point doesn’t have to define how far you can go.
When Yamundow first moved to the US, like most immigrants, she believed in: getting a stable job, and buying a home. But, she realized it didn’t have to end there. She didn’t just buy one property – she bought 28 doors.
In this episode, Yamundow Camara discusses:
- Creative ways she acquired 28 doors in 2 years without overleveraging debt
- Investing in real estate as an immigrant while on OPT (Optional Practical Training) visa
- How to partner with banking institutions to support your real estate ambitions
- How to determine which markets and areas to invest in
- How to find tenants who are more likely to stay in the house for a long time
- A tip she uses to increase her listing inquiring rate
- How she built a team that she trusts
- Why you should consider Section Eight renters
- Short-term rentals vs. travel rentals and why she does both
- How she manages working two jobs while being a real estate investor
- A costly real estate mistake she made and what she learned from it
If you enjoyed today’s episode, here’s what you can do to support me and help more Dreamers discover the podcast:
- Leave a review on Apple Podcasts or wherever you listen to podcasts. I read every single review. I will select one review to read on the podcast every month.
- Follow the podcast, so you never miss an episode: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | iHeart Radio | Amazon Music | Listen Notes |
- Share the podcast with your family, friends, and co-workers.
- Tag the podcast on Instagram @thedreamers.podcast and let me know what you like about it.
- Would you rather watch this episode? Go to our YouTube channel to enjoy the video version. And while you’re at it, click the bell to subscribe so you can get notified when a new episode comes out.
Dreamers’ Wealth of Wisdom:
- When you grow up as an orphan, there’s always this gap, like that love you always look for, like you’re missing something, or that you don’t belong in a house. So you were like, “When I grow up, I want to be a house. When I grow up, I’m gonna do this.” So, that’s always been me. – Yamundow Camara
- I knew it has to change. It has to change for me. Because I’m the only one who’s fortunate enough to make it this fine. My family—everybody’s relying on me. – Yamundow Camara
- You have to earn more, right? Find a way to increase your income, and increase your cash flow so that you wouldn’t just help others but be able to build wealth for yourself. – Anne-Lyse Wealth
- If you give somebody a trashy product, they will treat it as trash. – Yamundow Camara
- I always treat people—whether you are my cleaner, or you’re my contractor, or you’re the lender of the bank—you’re the same to me. I don’t treat people differently. I treat people with respect, and I always get that back. – Yamundow Camara
- Having two jobs actually helped me to take risky decisions. I was like, “Okay. If the cash flow doesn’t come in, I can use my own money and put it in there.” – Yamundow Camara
- It would come one day. It would come if you work hard. – Yamundow Camara
- I wanna build generational wealth to the point that my grandkids, my generation to come, my lineage will say, “Our grandmother built these.” – Yamundow Camara
About the Guest:
Yamundow Camara is a Data Scientist and a Statistical Programmer, as well as a real estate investor.
As a real estate investor, Yamundow specializes in buying, fixing, and renting properties. She buys large single-family homes and apartment buildings and rents them short-term, midterm, and long-term to travel health and business professionals on short rental platforms like Airbnb, Vrbo, and furnished finder.
Connect with Yamundow Camara:
Connect with Anne-Lyse:
Other Episodes You Might Like:
- How to Invest in Real Estate During Tumultuous Times with Money Dad Justin Chung
- How to Build Wealth Through Real Estate Syndication with Keishia Kennedy
- Real Estate as a Path to Wealth: From Wholesaling to Owning Hundreds of Doors with Jessica Myers
- How to Build a Six-Figure Side Income While Working Full-Time Job with Jannese Torres-Rodriguez