Episode 73 with Keishia Kennedy
Society teaches us to save money for rainy days. But to build wealth, we have to take it a step further and put our money to work.
The Dreamer on the show this week, Keisha Kennedy, started building wealth in real estate through residential properties and has now invested in over 500 units through real estate syndication.
She is an army veteran who is passionate about helping minorities and veterans change the trajectory of their lives by building generational wealth and attaining financial freedom through real estate.
Keishia Kennedy began investing in real estate in 2011. She shares her journey, purchasing her first property in 2011, and acquiring all of her properties as a long-distance investor, and becoming a general partner in real estate syndication.
In this episode, Keishia Kennedy discusses:
- Being an army veteran and investing in over 500 units through real estate syndication as a long-distance investor
- What real estate syndication is and how it works
- Why she moved her focus from residential real estate to apartment syndication
- The types of returns on investment she has seen in real estate and the returns she expects on syndication deals
- Why real estate syndication is a good way to build wealth
- The difference between a limited and a general partner when investing in real estate syndication
If you enjoyed today’s episode, here’s what you can do to support me and help more Dreamers discover the podcast:
- Leave a review on Apple Podcasts or wherever you listen to podcasts. I read every single review. I will select one review to read on the podcast every month.
- Follow the podcast, so you never miss an episode: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | iHeart Radio | Amazon Music | Listen Notes |
- Share the podcast with your family, friends, and co-workers.
- Tag the podcast on Instagram @thedreamers.podcast and let me know what you like about it.
- Would you rather watch this episode? Go to our YouTube channel to enjoy the video version. And while you’re at it, click the bell to subscribe so you can get notified when a new episode comes out.
Dreamers’ Wealth of Wisdom:
- 90% of millionaires are made by investing in real estate. – Keishia Kennedy
- I want to be a general partner because I want to cater to people that look like me, the people of color. There is a wealth gap and I want to be their voice. – Keishia Kennedy
- It’s easy to look online and be inspired, but it is important to understand what you are investing in: the risk, and the team that you are investing in. You want to make sure that you know and trust the team prior to the deal because this is a holding period. – Keishia Kennedy
- The lesson that I have learned as far as being a general partner is that not everyone is going to invest in your deal. – Keishia Kennedy
- Build relationships ahead of time prior to having a deal. – Keishia Kennedy
- Start investing, start investing earlier than what I did, but better to be late than never putting your money to work. – Keishia Kennedy
About the Guest:
Keishia is an army veteran with six years of service in the Army National Guard. During her enlistment, she was a Human Resource Specialist and also deployed to Kuwait as part of Operation Enduring Freedom.
Following her enlistment, she began investing in real estate in 2011. She has been expanding and managing her portfolio of residential; properties for the past 11 years. In 2021, she decided to take the next step on her entrepreneurial journey by founding Kennedy Remedy Investments. Kennedy Remedy Investments focuses on building strong partnerships with limited partners that invest passively in multi-family, which leads to generational wealth and financial freedom.
She has invested in over 500 real estate units. When not investing in real estate, she enjoys traveling abroad, cooking, horseback riding, spending time with her family, ziplining, scuba diving, skydiving, and is a figure bodybuilder.